Friday 21 May 2010

Curried Butternut-squash Soup

This is an easy one! I guess I learned the recipe in one of these lunches we had with Marina at the Market "Mercat" Restaurant in her town. (Vilafranca del Penedès) These young cooks are great; practical and easy going, and their recipes delicious! Most of these recipes can travel round the world!

I made the soup
-in Florida, for my friends Teresa and Ski
-in California, for my friends Carmen and Gaby
-in DC for Melvy and Gary Jensen
-in NYC for Jane, Richard, Marc, and Paul to accompany a delicious "Lemon, & Capers Tilapia" that my friend Richard Levy prepared.
-and the last but not least at my friend's Jody and Bernardo in Long Island City to accompany a fish dish I'll soon post!

This is what I used, which differs slightly from what I was told (as usual, thus "Unfaithful!!)

A whole Butternut-squash
One big onion
Eight cloves of garlic
Olive oil
Pepper
Curry powder
One vegetable bouillon or vegetable broth with a pinch of salt
Sour cream (at home I'd use "Crema de llet")
Some toasted sesame seeds or nori flakes

How do I proceed?

1. Chop the onion and make a "sofregit" which means, fry the onion gently until it is almost caramelized. Chop the garlic cloves and add them after a few minutes. During the process add two tea spoons of curry powder and mix them well with the onion.





2. Peel and cut the squash in dice and add them to the onion, garlic and curry.





Gently sauté the contents and add the vegetable broth or water with the bouillon until covered. (It depends on how thick you like to soup!)



3. Let it boil for 20 minutes and finally mix the soup with a blender or food processor until you have a soft buttery cream.




4. Put the soup in bowls or soup dishes and add a tea spoon of sour cream in the middle and spread some sesame seeds or nori flakes on top to make it more attractive.



Then serve!
Easy and delicious!

There are other vegetables combination but the only secret is to combine them properly, it depends on the season and in the country you prepare your food... Do you dare?


Enjoy!

The unfaithful cook

No comments:

Post a Comment