Tuesday 1 June 2010

Marinated Flank Steak

Here's an easy dish I learned at the Jensen's. I loved it because I thought it was easy to prepare and on top of this it turned out delicious! I'm sure, if you can find an adequate piece of beef, this dish can travel well!

I followed the steps my friends Melvy and Gary, from Virginia, told me. Thanks Folks!!



1. I bought a piece of Flank Steak, even though the butcher suggested another piece (I can't recall the name!) which is found close to the flank steak in the beef, saying it would be better, tender and milder. In terms of meat in my town I always follow the butcher's advice at the public market where I buy my meat. Just do the same wherever you are, specially if you trust them!

Here's my piece!



How do I proceed?

1. Prick the meat with a fork throughout and marinate it with 8 cloves of chopped garlic, shoyu sauce, olive oil and pepper for 24 hours. The Jensens told me the sauce had to cover the meat . I didn't completely, but I was turning the piece around every now and then.




2. Remove the steak from the sauce and broil it for ten minutes on either side. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn!



3. Cut the meat very thin and serve.



I think the Jensens served mashed cauliflower with the meat, really nice! They are very healthy people! So, I also accompanied the dish with vegetables but I used season vegetables; small onions, asparagus and artichokes (the last artichokes of this season, I guess!) I broiled them separately for they need different cooking times.
First the onions, which I cut in halves, with a little bit of olive oil and shoyu sauce and added some sesame seeds on top. I broiled them until tender.



Then I cleaned and sliced the artichokes and the asparagus and did as above but these needed only a few minutes to cook.




It was delicious!

If you dare... Enjoy!

I prepared this dish for my former students, now friends, Maria Santos and Judith Pinyol. We had a wonderful evening, full of surprises and exciting news. These two! You cannot leave them alone for three months. They just go crazy!



Little things contributed to this memorable evening!




No comments:

Post a Comment